the boxster blog with a different spin

Thursday, March 09, 2006

MY FRIEND'S ALL HAVE PORSCHES

Oh lord won’t you buy me a Mer-cedes Benz?
My friend’s all drive Porsche’s…I must make amends…
Janis Joplin

I thought my friend Gary was kidding when he told me that Janis Joplin had owned her own Porsche and had it painted tie-dyed. According to Gary, at the time this was viewed as an outrage (to deface such a beautiful car), but now it is museum art! You can view a replica in Janis’ home town in Port Arthur,

Texas at the Museum of the Gulf Coast. I’m still working on locating the original.

Last sighting? The Summer of Love exhibition at the Tate Liverpool in September, 2005.

If you like her car, you too can be the proud owner of a replica of Janis Joplin's car in a cookie jar motif for only a hundred bucks! And that’s not all; it's also a music box too (which plays "Mercedes Benz" of course). The sellers have limited production to only 3,600 worldwide and claim this collectible is sure to be in high demand!

If you can’t afford the cookie jar, you can buy the same look and feel in a music box motif for only $45 big ones.

Stats: Janis’ car is a 1965 Porsche 356 Cabriolet (she purchased it in 1968) and was hand painted by the late Dave Richards, friend and roadie for Big Brother and the Holding Company.




Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: